snack-sized bites for a windy friday (and apologies to my mom, or anyone else who might object to references to my boyfriend's naked body and my enjoyment of it)
- last week went by like a blur to me because i was hostessing the lovely and amazing ashley for a long-weekend birthday visit and most of the time was spent either covering our mouths and giggling like schoolgirls or deciding where our next meal was coming from. it was such a wonderful few days, and i felt like i'd been picked up by the shoulder seams of my favorite t-shirt (currently the one that depicts the saga of "nothing rhymes with orange") and dropped onto a great wide prairie of smiles and lattes and indulgent desserts. of course, that also meant that having to go back to work on monday (yes, on presidents' day, because clearly, my university is run by fascists) (just kidding, university! i love my job! i love that instead we opt to celebrate cesar chavez day and don't care that it falls on a friday when no one is on campus anyhow, but, whatever, i totally dig the chicano movement!) was extra-super-yucky hard. i definitely sat around last sunday night feeling like a balloon that had slowly had its air let out. wahh-wahhh...
- anyhow, it's nearing the end of the academic quarter in my little world, which means i'm getting relieved to be reminded that the end is in sight, and also a little soft around the edges of my heart because, as always, i totally adore my students and will miss them when all is said and done. apparently i'm "an inspiration" to many, and also "too nice," which, all things considered, i don't mind being either.
- how goldanged hilarious is the sarah silverman program on comedy central? if you haven't seen it, you're invited to my living room, where our dvr has all the episodes so far coded "k" for keep, because they're that good. i think i'm finally over the fact that she stole jimmy kimmel from me, and i love her even more because she sings inane songs about poo and has one of those wickedly evil comic genius brains that i envy like my neighbor's ceaselessly green grass on the other side of that there fence. funny. insanely funny. (oh, and shameless plug for LAist: as linked on the Sarah Silverman News blog, here's the LAist interview with her sister, laura. which i didn't do, but in the spirit of group blogging, heartily endorse.)
- i'm intensely loving the shins' new album wincing the night away. it's most excellent for car rides tinged with introspection and drumming a bit on the steering wheel.
- i had this really amazing talk with the darling boy yesterday about writing, and while i'll admit since it was predominantly conducted while i had my face nuzzled on the just-washed sweetness of his bare chest (too much? sorry mom) and thereby somewhat hazy in my memory, i know that what's the omnipresent issue is that i need to devote more time to my writing, and to not put expectations on myself, and that this goes for all forms and kinds and destinations for my writing. lately--well, okay, since i punched in the last period-end-of-sentence mark on my damned thesis last spring--i haven't felt very writerly, and i haven't been allowing myself to write or be a writer in any sort of fullness, and it's left me with like a little hole in my soul. right now i'm dealing with words and bits of phrases, and i feel like i'm just about ready to get back to it again. it's also tremendously reassuring and cause for me to adore the darling boy even more to know that he really gets me--particularly this aspect of me and my life--and pitches in with the most amazingly spot-on words of wisdom.
- oh, and speaking of... because of work and schedules and miss ashley's arrival my valentine's day celebration was more like an extended celebration that began when i launched into operation make valentine's day cookies the day before and when i finally got my belated v-day prezzy from my darling boy yesterday (the most enormous bouquet of flowers i've ever been given without first having to earn a college degree as cause for celebration) that was as pink as promised. all in all it was a very good one this year.
- tomorrow i start college! i'm so excited. i got my letter of acceptance last week! wait, what? you ask. but i thought... okay, okay, i'm kind of kidding. because i have one of those active minds and that annoying thirst for knowledge and skills and bettering myself, i went and enrolled at a local community college so that i could take a class in conversational japanese. ("konichiwa, motherfuckers!" said the darling boy.) but they cancelled the class. ("sayonara, motherfuckers!" said i.) so, instead i enrolled in a ceramics class. (which, btw, apparently comes out sounding like "semantics" when you're telling your darling boy about it in the shower. again, too much? sorry, mom.) so i will be learning to pound and mold and turn clay for the next several saturdays. i still want to learn japanese, and also italian, and spanish. oh, and jewelry making. and, like, lots of other things. i love learning! what a dork.
- man, how much do i hate folding and putting away laundry? or, like any housework in general, except maybe using my pledge grab-it cloths to dust or those awesome mr. clean magic erasers to, well, magically erase things from surfaces? i suppose this is just one reason why i've never billed myself as housewife material or domestic goddess. although, i do offer the bonus traits of loving to cook, having a keen sense of aesthetics for home decor, and never turning down sex (ack, sorry, again!). but since i'm not hawking my own wares at this time, i wouldn't mind just having someone come by to deal with the three giant piles of laundry i just laundered. anyone? we can watch sarah silverman? i'll bake cookies? anyone, anyone?